Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Waitin' on You

When I bring up your name

The conversation always ends the same.

It’s a quote I’m getting rather sick of using:

It’s a sigh and then, “I dunno…we’ll see”

What will we see?

That you’re desperately afraid of me?

That you’re playing a game and getting by on a smile

And I’m playing one too – called denial.

Are you really like the taxi cab without its light?

Am I a passenger on a missionless plight?

Because the voice inside me is screaming

That from this all I need some meaning.

Call it a commitment, call it a label,

But without it, I soon won’t be able

To justify being in a cab with no ends to the mean

Because slowly a fraud this is beginning to seem.

I have places to go and goals to reach

And I’m sorry that I’m appearing to preach,

But it’s getting harder and harder to sacrifice

For something unsurely worth the price.

You say you want me to move home for me

But I’m not sure why you can’t see

That the only reason I’d come back to Illinois

Is to spend the rest of my life with you boy.

A scary prospect for us both I understand,

But if I’m willing to make it, I need you to be a man.

Step up and say what it is you want

I’m weary of the run-around, just make it blunt.

Because boo, I’ve got things to do

And I’m getting real sick of waitin on you.

No comments: