Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Alarm Clocks

I wake up 5 minutes before the alarm.
Always.
Why? Why?
I lay quietly, staring blankly at the phone - willing it to be wrong.
4:25...4:26...
ugh...
4 more minutes of you.
I roll over and bury my head into the little cave of escape between your shoulder and the pillow.
No...no...
Why does it always go this way?
I breathe you in.
Deep.
1 minute.
Your alarm sounds.
It's the Balinese chimes one that I secretly kind of like.
You groan and silence it.
Peace.
I snuggle back down into you.
Smile and sigh.
Then comes the honking, shrieking, shrill scream of your back-up alarm.
It grates every nerve and a tiny rush of rage protests against my closed lips.
I hate that one.
So much.
You silence it.
Peace...
Wait.
Where's my alarm?
I glance at my phone.
4:32.
You have two alarms and mine isn't even set right.
Typical.

No comments: