Thursday, March 5, 2009

love isn't earned

how can you say
that it's wrong to be gay?
that we cannot accept
those who are different?
i dont understand
the cruelty of man.
our narrow minds
and the excuses we find
to justify
beliefs we live by.

how can you say
that discrimination is ok?
that everyone must be
the same as you and me.
to earn our respect
from the norm you can't defect.
isn't that what love's all about
I want to scream and shout.
all these years you've preached
that with love we must outreach
to all people, all race
it's a sin to discriminate.
but that only applies
to the things seen with our eyes.
different beliefs are a different story
don't you know that lori?

so how can you say
unacceptance is ok?
we've listened and learned
that loved isn't earned.
it's to be shared with all
black, white, short, tall
day in and day out you would preach
that to everyone God's love should reach
but now i'm a grown girl
and am realizing the true world.
this faith i defend
is beginning to bend.
because i thought of you as my structure, my mold
but i'm beginning to see I must take my own road.
for I still believe in God with all my heart
but a from new perspective i must start.
i cannot look to you for answers, but find them on my own.
just another journey i must start alone.

No comments: