Sunday, March 22, 2009

Could've

In an instant I saw my life
if I would have been your wife.
A sunlit moment of pure love
as father lifted daughter above.
Young and thing and beaming with joy
was the face of a father yet a boy,
holding tightly the girl of his dreams.
And in a moment to me it seems
that it's you tossing our daughter up high.
In his face I see your smile and wanted to cry -
felt my heart drop and skip,
felt my knees waiver and my strength slip.
"That would've been us" says a voice in my head
"But you're single and living with 2 boys instead."
I look away and turn around quick
but the lump in my throat leaves me feeling sick.
"That would've been us."
"That would've been us."
mocking; ringing in my ears.
Oh no, here come the tears.
I rush to the bathroom and look in the mirror,
but my cloudy eyes see a reflection that is clear.
There is no pity to be found here:
this was your fault, but my choice
"That could've been mine." I tell the voice.

No comments: